FAQs - Frequently Adventured Questions
- What do I need for the rally?
- Which visas do I need, and where do I get them?
- What kind of vehicle are we allowed to drive?
- Where can I get a suitable vehicle from?
- What will happen to our beloved rally vehicle after we cross the Finish Line?
- Where and how can I stay overnight?
- Charity and donations
- How do I get the donations?
- movember.com - Collect donations online
- Press work
- Your rally vehicle branding
- How does SAC Live Tracking work?
- What happens if we have a break-down on the way?
- The Starting Line Event in Dresden
- Party time in Southeast Europe
- Is there an age limit for participation?
- Where can I exchange information with other teams online?
- Can I use SAC logos and Images for my Website, Blog or for my Charity Project?
- How do I register for my rally adventure?
- Which additional costs can we expect?
- Can I change my team name?
- Can I book a binding starting place and add the team later?
- What happens if I cannot participate in the rally?
1. What do I need for the rally?
A thirst for adventure, a suitable vehicle at least 20 years old and 13 days time!
2. Which visas do I need, and where do I get them?
EU citizens do not need any visas for this rally. We request that rally participants who do not possess EU citizenship make themselves aware of entry requirements for every relevant country.
3. What kind of vehicle are we allowed to drive?
Modern classics and classic classics
Old-school cars: At least 20 years old (incl. 1999 makes)
Old-school bikes: At least 20 years old (incl. 1999 makes); a motorcycle team may consist of no more than two motorcycles
Old-school trucks: At least 20 years old (incl. 1999 makes); campers/RVs/mobile homes are not allowed. Buses and vans such as the T3, T4, GMC Vandura and the Ford Transit are not classified as mobile homes.
Again, vehicles built explicitly as mobile homes/campers/RVs (e.g. with alcoves) are not allowed.
You don’t have to have nailed down your vehicle to register for the rally. You’ve got until the Rally Start to find your dream machine.
Of course, your vehicle needs to be road approved and MOT certified to ensure you can enjoy the rally to the fullest. Any kind of vehicle is welcome; bikes, vans or cars. BMW, Trabi or VW Beetle let your style decide.
4. Where can I get a suitable vehicle from?
Look on the Internet or in the advertising section of your daily newspaper.
On the relevant used car portals, you will find a wide selection of suitable and inexpensive vehicles.
Or ask your grandmother if she lends you her old Mercedes for a spin.
The vehicle does not have to be fixed at the time of registration. Until the start of the rally, you have time to find your perfect rally vehicle.
5. What will happen to our beloved rally vehicle after we cross the Finish Line?
That’s up to you! How about just happily driving it home, you full of adventure and the car full of luggage, and rolling up in it again next year for the next rally?!
6. Where and how can I stay overnight?
Accommodations are chosen and organized by the teams themselves. From rustic Balkan-style camping to post-communist motels, to posh beach hotels - anything goes! You’re free to choose your own lodgings at every stage of the trip depending on your budget and your notion of “adventure.”
Even playing it by ear and deciding as you go has worked out for teams in the past and generally isn’t a problem in the time period the rally takes place.
At the official S.A.C. party stops along the way, all the teams set up camp together. Of course, you can spend the night in your own rally van/truck/bus.
7. Charity and Donations
Collect €500 for great charity projects from our charity partner Movember.
The money goes to projects that Movember has carefully vetted to ensure that all contributions go where they should—to the people who truly need them.
Charity donations can be collected any time from the date you sign up to the moment you cross the Finish Line. More
8. How do I get the donations?
Come up with something! Tell your friends, family, business partners, colleagues about your commitment to men's health. Collect online via Social Media. Organize a flea market. Make a tombola. Get into the local press or organize a charity party. There are countless ways. Collecting donations is an adventure in itself. More
9. movember.com - Collect donations online
Create your personal fundraising campaign on movember.com. Movember gives you the possibility to present your donation collection in a transparent and easy way and to handle it online. All donations collected, directly benefit the movember men's health projects. You can find detailed instructions on how to collect donations with movember.com here on our website.
10. Press work
In order to get even more support for your project and your fundraising, you are welcome to contact the press. Tell the local newspaper, radio or TV about your charity rally. So you might get even more donations and find additional sponsors.
Ask the workshop of your confidence if your rally car will be ready for you. Ask at the shop on the corner whether he will provide you with the right equipment. Or get a rally haircut from your favorite hairdresser. In return, your sponsors can immortalize themselves on the rally car or you can include them on your website or in your press work. Here, too, there are countless possibilities.
12. Your rally vehicle branding
You have found the right vehicle, you have your sponsors and now you want to visually pimp the car/van/motorbike. We give your creativity absolute freedom. There is only one thing to consider: a sticker with the official rally logo will appear on the driver and passenger doors as well as on the bonnet. Furthermore, two stickers with your starting number must be placed clearly visible on the vehicle.
Dimensions of the stickers:
Official rally logos: circular, approx. 45 cm diameter
Starting numbers: circular, approx. 45 cm diameter
13. How does SAC Live Tracking work?
The SAC Live Tracking App - SAC Track - is available for free download for all rally teams in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store - for Android and iOS. SAC Live Tracking is as simple as it is intuitive. Simply switch on tracking and be tracked. Furthermore, you have the possibility to attach your most beautiful pictures to the track. All teams receive the log-in data one week before the start.
Offline and still be tracked. Is that possible?
Yes, that works without any problems! Your phone records your route even without an internet connection if a GPS signal is available. As soon as you are online the next time, the SAC Track will automatically move your route to the server and your route will be up-to-date again.
Your personal rally route After the rally, you can download the tracked route so that you can show it to your grandchildren.
14. What happens if we have a break-down on the way?
You’ve got to repair your vehicle!
But don’t worry - even if you have no clue about technical workings, you’ll get your ride up and running again. This is how we know:
1. It’s part of the rally code of honor that teams help each other whenever necessary. There’s nearly always a fellow rally participant in close proximity who has enough technical know-how and the right tools to help you out.
2. If you’re really stranded way out in the sticks, don’t hesitate to ask for help from local people. Even if you don’t speak the language, you’ll encounter people more than willing to help out. Sometimes just a friendly smile and a couple of shared vodkas will do - before you know it, your motor will be running again….
3. If all else fails, your saving grace will be having registered for some kind of abroad insurance protection at one of the big auto associations.
15. The Starting Line Event in Dresden
The rally gets going on August 22nd, 2019, right in the heart of Dresden. The Starting Line Event kicks off at 10 a.m. and the official Rally Start will take place between 11 a.m. and noon. We’ll let you know the exact address of all this action on July 22nd, 2019.
16. Party time in Southeast Europe
You can find all the info on meet & greet points and on the official S.A.C rally parties on the road in the Roadbook.
Your team will get the Roadbook at the Starting Line. In Salzburg, Austria, we’ll celebrate the successful conclusion of the Balkan Express with a big send-off party and, of course, we’ll crown the winners!
17. Is there an age limit for participation?
Everything is open to the top! However, you must be at least 18 years old to be allowed to participate. Further, we point out that you should be in good physical condition. The participation in this adventure rally is not a coffee ride with an electric blanket.
The conditions of the roadways can vary considerably during the rally: from dry asphalt lanes in the Pannonian Steppe at 35 degrees C, to dirt roads through the high mountain passes in the rain and hail at 8 degrees C, through to the Balkan “slalom pothole parkour”…
Anything’s possible and there’s a little something for everyone!
19. Where can I exchange information with other teams online?
Each rally has its own Facebook group. There you can exchange ideas with other teams before, During and after the rally.
The following topics are gladly discussed there:
- Personal team introduction and presentation of your own charity project
- Tips & tricks for the right equipment
- Progress in pimping the rally car
- Purchase and sale of reinforced rally vehicles
- Search for other team members or a team to ride with
To the official Balkan Express Group.
20. Can I use SAC logos and Images for my Website, Blog or for my Charity Project?
Yes, you are welcome to do so. You can find a selection of pictures and the Rally logos under the section Media.
If you don't find what you are looking for, you can download the logos directly from the website (right mouse button, save image as).
Please always refer to us for pictures and logos, especially if they are passed on to the press, for example.
Photo Credits: Superlative Adventure Club
21. How do I register for my rally adventure?
You can easily register for your rally adventure in three quick steps.
- Log in under my SAC
- Afterward, you can create a team under point 2 "My Teams"
- If you have successfully registered your team, you can book the rally with your team
You can change and edit your team name, the number of team members, as well as the facts about your vehicle and pictures even after registration.
22. Which additional costs can we expect?
In addition to the entry fee, there are additional costs for food, accommodation, petrol, possible ferry crossings or tolls.
The amount depends on you and your budget and the thirst of your car. To give you an idea of your individual travel costs, here is a rough overview of the travel costs per day for a team of 2 people:
approx. 1,30€ per liter
1,30€ × 8 liters per 100 km × 400 km per day =42 €
Overnight stay in the open air, in a tent, vehicle or with new friends: 0€.
From campsite to luxury hostel: 15€ to 150+€
Hunters, Collectors, Fishermen: 0€
Self-catering from the supermarket: 30€
Gourmets and restaurant testers: 60+€
Depending on the route chosen, additional costs for road and bridge tolls or speeding tickets from 100€ - 250+€ may be incurred on the entire route.
23. Can I change my team name?
Yes, you can still change and edit your team name, the number of team members, as well as the facts about your vehicle and pictures after registration.
Simply log in with your team account and go to point 2 "My Teams". Under your team page, you will also find your team members and can edit, delete or add their profiles.
24. Can I book a binding starting place and add the team later?
In order to make a booking, you must first create a team. You can change the team data, the number of members and the name at any time.
25. What happens if I cannot participate in the rally?
The starting fee has to be paid within 2 days so that the starting place is officially booked.
If you cancel within the first 4 weeks after booking, we will refund 100% of the starting fee. If the registration is still open, we will also refund 100% of the starting fee.
If the registration is closed, we try to give the starting place to a successor team, if this does not work, we offer to postpone the starting place to the coming year or another rally of your choice. A reactivation fee of 250 € is Due for this.
Alternatively, you can assign the starting place yourself to friends, relatives or acquaintances and change the data in the team log-in. If you decide to do so, please send us an e-mail via the contact form.
3 months before the start a refund and a partial refund is no longer possible.